Monday, 23 March 2009
Food Review: Axis Bar High Tea (Oriental Hotel) 4*
To celebrate my goodest bestest friend Jiahui's birthday, we went to the above for English high tea.
- nice view of esplanade area through the ceiling-to-floor windows
- comfy couches and arm chairs
- chinaware (Japanese Narumi brand is used)
- good assortment of pastries (we were served ham puffs, spinach quiche, egg and cucumber sandwiches, roast beef with cracker, smoked salmon on baguette, chocolate and cranberry scones, mango cheese cake, choc mousse cake, macaroons, lemon meringue tart and some others which i can't remember =P)
- good selection of teas (jiahui had herb and ginger tea while i had strawberry and crisp tea)
- clusters of seats far apart enough for privacy
- power sockets (jiahui feels this is important... she was editing her ad on her macbook pro while we were having tea)
- at $32+++ for a three tier serving (non-refillable) and two teas (enough for two v hungry people or three not so hungry people) plus 15% off if you pay with UOB cards, this is quite a steal!
- the toilet has very nice hand lotion. smells really great and is absorbed into the skin with no sticky residual feeling.
- SUPER slow... even when not crowded. jiahui remarked, "wa biang, their leg hand v slow neh..." a few minutes after we have decided on the tea, we had to wave at them to come and take our orders. then 5 mins later, the tea was served. 10 mins later they came out and we got excited but -.- it was the preserves, butter and whipped cream for the scones... another 10 minutes later they served the puffs and quich then finally, 30 mins after we sat down, we had the tiers served to us.
- the pretty items like cakes come in single serving so you have to share
- the scones were not warm. we had to ask them to warm them. tsk tsk tsk *shake head in disapproval*
- we could hear the staff talking, joking and laughing loudly in the kitchen. tsk tsk tsk, so unprofessional.
- the teacups are not exceptionally pretty although it's Narumi (unlike Ritz Carlton... v pretty waterford wedgwood ones).