Friday, 25 December 2009

Japan 2009: Day 6 (Takayama 高山)


We boarded the early morning train (Hida Wide View) to Takayama. The journey takes slightly more than 2 hours so we zonked off on the train zzz… when I woke up about an hour later, I was stunned by what I saw… snow… snow… and snow!!!! It was really really beautiful… the snow-capped mountains, trees with snow and traditional Japanese architecture covered in snow so I woke Chris up and he too marvelled at the amazing sight. We both took out our phone video cams and started shooting hahaha… so suaku =P first time see snow...

After depositing our baggage at Minshuku Sosuke, we checked out the Hida folk village, a collection of old farmhouses. We had Takayama ramen at an eatery outside the village.








On our way back, we stopped by a coffee house for a hot drink cos it was snowing outside. The adjoint shop is a teddy bear shop and they had very cute clothes for teddy bears which were quite reasonably priced (about SGD$13 each) so we bought a sweater for melody, slacks for thaddeus and jacket for tigger =)



Then we took a taxi to the other side of the train station and strolled through the streets near Nakabasi Bridge. Bought some yuzu honey that were delicious =) and visited the Historical Government House.



I have always wondered what those conical lines on trees in Kanazawa garden were… now I know… they’re ropes tied to the branches to support the branches from snow. Cool…


We really thank God that although there was snow which made the sights really fascinating, the cold was bearable even when it snowed lightly (like drizzle). Only my fingers were numb (cos wear gloves very difficult to shoot la)… until I couldn’t eat my ramen cos I couldn’t hold the chopsticks properly LOL I picked up a small lump of snow to eat and it tasted like plain ice kachang and reminded me an old fridge we had when I was young. I used to scrape off the ice and eat =D

The next morning, before heading to Shirakawa-go, we visited the jinya-mae morning markets after breakfast =) the stall-owners are all women, mostly older women. they're farmers' wives who come every morning to set up stalls.