Saturday, 17 July 2010

My New Toy - Olympus E-PL1


My birthday is coming... i was eyeing a micro 4/3 camera and Mr Tee was selling his two month old one... so chris jumped at the opportunity before i ask for a prada... clever.

I am very pleased with my new toy the Olympus pen E-PL1 which I have named Shiro-Chan (小白) because it's white. and what better way to inaugurate my new toy then to take pics of my darlings =)



i can't wait to use it on my nieces =DDD

What i like:
- the sleek look. love the white... it's so unique. but chris thinks it look too girly so he doesn't dare to use... but then again, the uno numero macho Mr Tee used it too! it's like wearing pink... you need to have a certain level of confidence in your masculinity to dare to wear pink.
- its portability. i know my 7D is good but sometimes, it's really a pain bringing it out, like when i want to take pictures of my nieces... i so want to bring shiro-chan everywhere LOL travelling will never be the same again =) this can totally fit in my handbag =D
- with the panasonic pancake 20mm f/1.7 ($570), the photos come out very nice
- interchangeable lens like a DSLR
- the control (point and shoot is like "auto" car. DSLR is like "manual" car. this is like an auto car with manual function when you want to use it. nice.)
- video quality is good too... HD
- i thought it would be difficult to shoot animals but wow, am pleasantly surprised! the tracking AF, live LCD and light weight really helped. plus the small size is great cos i can creep up to them without them getting too curious. they're very curious about my 7D will come and smell it -.- maybe it's cos my 7D is black so they think it's another bunny haha
- sharp
- nice colours

What I don't like:
- the kit lens is ordinary... f/3.5-5.6
- people who don't know think i am using a compact camera -.-
- the battery life... only 300 pics... less if shooting videos as well... so i bought an extra battery ($75)... =P
- the ugly original strap... so i got the cool-looking white leather one ($75) =P
- SD card... wa lao... i used to use CF card lor... give me only 8 GB. so i bought another 16 GB ($75) cos my 16GB CF card can be full when i shoot in japan (with videos)
- so in the end, the peripherals i bought cost more than what chris paid for the camera hahaha

i am eyeing the panasonic 7-14mm f/4 lens... v tempting... wonder if my kor will buy for me for my birthday =D kor, $1450 only! thanks ah!

you can read my friend CY's 5-post review here =)

a good review comparing E-PL1 and GF-1 is here.

I am still hanging on to my 7D because of my work duties... but i am v tempted to let go =P

No comments:

Post a Comment